If Thaksin return, it'll create clashes

|


If Thaksin return, it'll create clashes:: Privy Council member says there could be clashes if ousted premier comes back; urges reconciliation

General Surayud Chulanont, a member of the Privy Council, has warned that if ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra returned to Thailand, it could create further rifts in the country because there would be clashes between his supporters and opponents.

"I am concerned about national reconciliation," he said. "Just imagine the clash between rival camps should Thaksin choose to return to the country at this juncture," he said.

Surayud, meanwhile, would neither confirm nor deny news reports that he is a leading candidate for the post of interim prime minister.

"I am still sitting on the Privy Council and am duty-bound to observe its code of conduct," he said."I am old now. After my retirement, I want to devote my life to promoting education, which is more suitable for a man of my age. Whoever becomes the new prime minister will have a difficult job. Since I have a lot of experience in dealing with national affairs, I would have to think about it carefully if I was offered the premier's job," he added.

Surayud said it is important for Thailand to accelerate the process of national reconciliation. continued

0 comments: